Skip to content Where Legends Are Made
UA Cuba Center Apply to UA Make a Gift
a couple sitting on a wall near the Havana Harbor

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am a student at another university. Can I participate in a study abroad program through The University of Alabama?

A: At this time, no. Under our current OFAC license, only students and faculty at The University of Alabama may participate in our programs. Students at other schools in Alabama, such as the University of Alabama-Birmingham, are also not permitted to travel under our license.

Q: Does the Cuba Center support continuing education opportunities like the people-to-people program for alumni?

A: Although we would like to develop programs for alumni to travel to Cuba in the future, our license currently does not allow this type of educational opportunity.

Q: How can I get involved in the Cuba Center?

A: If you are a student at The University of Alabama, please contact Dr. Juan Lopez-Bautista at

Q: Does the University of Alabama offer a degree in Cuban studies?

A: We currently do not offer a degree in Cuban studies. Those interested in Cuban studies may enroll in the University’s Latin American Studies program.